LA SERENA.... a colonial city in Chile...26th August

So Fo and I left Valparaiso after an amazing few days with our Chilean friends. On our last night there we went to a uni student party with a few of these folk and we´re introduced and translated for by Bea, one of our professoras of the last few days. It was kind of funny to watch her tell them that we´d had lessons for three days but knew "nada" espanol!

We´re a little more brave now, heading out on our own and quite used to the wolf whistles and smooching noises we get as we pass by groups of men. having the local buses toot right by us ont he side walk has been a little harder to get over. It´s such a funny response to the two of us who are looking pretty scruffy by our usual standards (we haven´t washed our clothes for a while and I´m adamant I won´t buy more shampoo while I´m travelling so try to last a few days without washing my hair). We look different even when trying to blend in... the other day in Valparaiso our other professora Carolina was waiting with Fo, she observed how foreign I looked. When Fo asked how, Carolina commented on my clothes, my skin, my hair and even the way I walked. We´ve given up trying to blend in. I don´t think it helps that whenever we walk anywhere we usually get so engrossed in a story for the other that we wave our arms around for emphasis, sometimes leap about like a fool and truly become oblivious to all around us. Volke dubbed us as official representatives of the Ministry of Silly Walks!

So it was with real sadness that we bid goodbye to our mates in Valparaiso and bused our way to La Serena. here we finally engaged a washing machne and are revelling in our sweetly smelling clothes. We´ve strolled to the beach and watched a few eagles and figured out that maybe, beacuse of our total foreigness we seem to be able to scam extra food out of restaurants. Twice now we´ve asked to share a meal and we´ve been delivered two servings for the price of one. Maybe this standing out isn´t so bad after all.

Tonight we´re boarding a first class tur-bus, on the reccomendation of Mel who told me I should try it at least once - Ive always been easily led. The normal coaches here are pretty extraordinary. Hge reclining seats, a conducter who brings you pillows and blankets and movies for your entire journey (but you plug your ear-phones in to listen in to the movie so its not blaring out through the bus). As this will be a twenty hour journey we´re pleased that this is our first-class leg. I´ll update the report afterwards. We´re now heading further north into the desert where I hear there is the best conditions for star gazing in the world. Ande real-live volcanoes!
Stay tuned!

Comments

Popular Posts