There was Canadian Pride aplenty on our recent trip to Vancouver for the weekend. Shea surprised me with the trip away for my Birthday. We stayed in the downtown area and shopped, ate ethnic food we can't get here in the Yukon and relished the energy of the big smoke. 


This appealed to me....
...as did this....

...as did the spring that has arrived in Vancouver but is yet to make it's way to us here in the North. While Vancouver had green grass, leaves and buds on trees, we have but snow, snow and bits of dirt showing through where the snow has melted. The daffodils that smiled up at me from the gardens of Vancouver, I can but buy from a bucket in the supermarket in the Yukon.

 
 I found the Yukon in Vancouver!!!


and now for the exciting one.......


Shea was finally successful on one of his hunting trips and brought home a wild, organic Bison. We went thirds in the hunt with some others and shared the costs of butchering etc. This is one tray of five that we have of similar sized packages of Bison. Our freezer is chockas! We have Bison roast, Bison T-bone, Bison mince, Bison sausages, Bison stew meat, Bison ribs......

I didn't go on this particular hunting trip, I have been on one but we were (thankfully?) unsuccessful. I do want to go on a trip to be part of the cycle of life that we carnivores take for granted, but maybe not this year. 

Shea also wanted me to note that the evening that he came back from his successful hunt he sat by the fire to darn his socks. No word of a lie. He knows he's a bit of a catch!!

Comments

Popular Posts