Highlights of Summer #3: Building the Junction house

Adelaide didn't love living in a construction site. Actually she didn't mind too much but definitely reacted to the nail gun. She got covered in bug bites, had to hang around with me while I tried to help with varnishing...

...and every now and then was rewarded with a nap with Dad. Not sure what I was doing while he was napping...probably more work....


....oh, that's right, I was still working..... 


....and Shea just joined me here for the glory shot. This was the moment of nailing down the final ridge shingle. Man that took me a while....


I must admit Shea did, rarely, get involved with the hard yards, though I must note that I don't need a tool belt for this task...


Even my Mum took over varnishing while I was on the roof doing the shingles. 


And then there was one day when I'd just finished washing up after cooking dinner and shingle-ing the whole roof, that I wearily dried my hands and looked eagerly at the seat by the fire. Shea turned to me and with love in his voice, asked if I wouldn't mind just giving the car a quick wash before bed as he was hoping to drive it to the nearby campground shower for his nightly ablutions..... 


I'll let you decipher which parts of that are true and which are embellished. Adelaide is currently wriggling and grizzling on my lap so this will be brief. I just wanted to add that by the time of our wedding, Adelaide had spent half of her life in a wall tent. She's pretty much an urban girl now that we're stationed back in our main house in Whitehorse. We're enrolled in Baby-Swim lessons, heading out for Baby CPR tomorrow, meet adult girlfriends for coffee downtown and baby friends once a week for a Breakfast Club. Her favourite thing is to watch random You Tube clips on my lap top when she's cranky and tired. She stares fixedly at the screen, non-blinking, mouth agape, her wailing silenced. Is this bad?









Comments

Popular Posts