greetings from vancouver #5



Hello My Little Ones,
It is so hot here right now, I had to take a water picture to try and cool myself down. This is the water park closest to our apartment building and I imagine we will spend some time there. I haven't run through it yet, but it really looks lovely and cool and fun. I'm not entirely sure why I am being so shy and sensible and not just getting in there to cool myself down. I wonder when you stop being a kid who is happy to play in such things and start being an adult who just sits on the bench and watches? And gets really hot and grouchy...

I'm not grouchy right now, though. I just got home after seeing another Shakespeare play and it made me super happy. So that's my first happy;
1) Getting to see lots of theatre! When you guys are here we will go and see some theatre together, how does that sound? We have tickets to see Cinderella in Stanley Park. It's a musical so I think we will all love it and Dad will fall asleep. I hope he doesn't snore...
2) I'm practicing drawing in my journal. Each day I find something to sketch and then to colour in with water colour pencils, like the ones Dad always takes camping. I'm still not very good, but I think I'm getting better. It's frustrating when my drawing doesn't look like the real thing. But I keep trying and look forward to you two practicing with me.
3) I rode home from the theatre tonight and the night air was quite hot. I love it when it is dark but warm. I cycled over a bridge and could see the full moon hanging low over the water. It was a dark orange colour because there is a fire nearby. I've lost the light from my bike so I couldn't really see where I was going and I was a little worried other people couldn't really see me. But I rode slowly and marvelled at how busy the city still is even though it was late at night. The beach was as full as it is during the day, with small groups of people having picnics or just sitting watching the sea. There were a few other cyclists around; one chap even had fairy lights on his bike and music blasting from a speaker as he rode by me. He was like a party on a bike and everyone was invited. It felt a little bit magic riding home in the warm, dark night.

My frown:
It was also a little stressful riding home in the warm, dark night! I couldn't see the path very well or if there was anything upon it that I might bump over. At one point I smelled a skunk, but couldn't see it. I could sense cyclists coming toward me but couldn't see them until they were very close.
I could hear your Dad's voice in my head telling me that this wasn't a good idea!
But I went slowly and very cautiously and didn't get far away from lit areas so I knew I'd be safe. It feels unusual to be outside in the dark during summer. Not like the Yukon at all.

I wonder if you two will notice a difference in the light when you get here?

I love you lots,
Mama


Comments

Popular Posts