greetings from vancouver #6


Hello my darlings,
Thanks so much for chatting with me today. It made me so happy to see your faces; I almost tried to reach out and touch your cheeks but then remembered that you were on the screen. After we talked I went out for a walk to get the milk and toilet paper I told you we needed. I'm all stocked up for when you get here now. I also got some beer, but that is just for me and Dad.
And look what I found when I was out walking. It's The Little House, just like in the story that we have. This little old house is right in the middle of downtown. It's looking very forlorn and lost amongst the towering skyscrapers. I wonder if it's just waiting for someone to put it on a truck and take it back out into the countryside? Or perhaps it will just get knocked down for more skyscrapers to be built?
It's funny that our home here is actually in one of those skyscrapers. I haven't thought about what was on the land before this building. I've just been enjoying the incredible view from being so high up. But was there a little house on this land before? What was here before the little house? I wonder what First Nation used to live on this land? I bet we can find out the answers when you get here.
Our building is so tall that when you take the elevator, you stand in it long enough to smell who was in there before you. It's the funniest thing to try and guess what kind of person they were. Sometimes I smell cigar. Sometimes I smell very strong perfumes or cologne. Sometimes I smell wet dog. So far I haven't smelled fart and I'm happy about that.
The smells in the city seem so much stronger than the smells in Whitehorse. When I walk along the busy streets I often get overwhelmed by the different scents. Scents don't just come from the people you pass by, but sometimes you can get wafts of restaurants cooking unfamiliar foods. In some places your nose wrinkles from the smell of hot, rotting garbage. Sometimes it's the odour of fuel and gas that comes from the cars and trucks and planes.
I'm looking forward to burying my nose into your sweet necks and smelling your skin, my babies. I bet you beat all the wonderful smells of the city!
All my love,
Mama.


Comments

Popular Posts