Welcome 2019


I'm not entirely sure where the time goes, but go it does. Do you know people who seem to have magic time? As in, you seem to have the same amount of children, activities, commitments as they do and yet they can magically produce more with their time? My brother and his wife are like that. They have three kids (all at different schools), both work full time, they run a couple of businesses (that I know of), they both exercise regularly (often competing in marathon's or ultra long bike races) and they get out camping more frequently than Shea and I do! They're also vegan which means that food prep is more involved and time consuming than at my house. Where, I wonder, does their magic time come from? Shea rarely sits still and yet often will pass an entire day doing tasks that don't seem to count in the big picture of our life. Still need doing and yet aren't the big ticket items. Like the basement. He sent me a photo the other day of our main basement room completely stripped back to the studs. I recollect talking about this project and thought we had agreed to just install the pellet stove, knowing that 'down the track' we'd be re-insulating the walls and ceiling and floor. And yet the room that I left a few days ago looking much as it always has, is now stripped bare. Where, I wonder, did all the stuff go? Why, I wonder, the change of plans? Maybe it was due to a desire to get one of those big-ticket items/projects off the to-do list. But when, friends, when will it actually get checked off the list? Maybe I could bring him home a jar of my brother's magic time?
I'm in Australia right now for a flying visit to see my Mum who has cancer again. It made for a surreal Christmas as Shea and I found ourselves facing more of this cancer stuff after we'd just felt we could begin to raise our eyesight to wider horizons. Mum is doing super well, but it reminds me that life really doesn't unfold the way you necessarily plan.
Our Whitehorse life has settled into a lovely rhythm. Shea and I are both working three days a week which is amazing. I have my chemo every three weeks but am able to continue working throughout. I find I get quite tired after my days at work but really love being there. I'm trying to ski as much as possible, though I don't have as flexible time as I did through active cancer treatment. I've returned to my mate Yoga after an absence of many years; she's embraced me with open, though a bit less flexible, arms. And so it goes friends, trying to find balance in this life of ours. Striving for some of that elusive magic time that others seem to own, yet relishing the practices and rituals of our own quirky unit. Happy New Year, y'all.

 Op shop goodness in Australia. One of my great joys.

 Sailing with my parents; also a great joy.

Comments

Popular Posts