A random photographic essay of daily anecdotes


A Friday afternoon after school. A rare moment of peace. Sibling bickering is ramping up in the house and the inconsistent parental approach to dealing with this may sound something like,
"Is this a tell or a tattle?" (The former alerting an adult to a situation that may involve someone getting hurt. The latter is tattling for the sake of getting your sibling in trouble. You can guess which we get more of). 
Though sometimes we take the approach of, 
"Well, that sounds like you need to give each other space...that's not space Adelaide. No, really, I know that you're not touching him but having your foot that close to him is pushing his buttons..."

And then, at times, you may even hear a despairing,
"Well, just hit him back! I don't care right now!"

I remind myself that I always believed that my brother and I fought like cats and dogs, but I had more than one friend comment that he and I got along better than any other siblings we knew. Hopefully, I hope, that my two cherubs may pan out the same. 

Dinner on Stockton Beach with my aforementioned brother and his family and the Grandparentals. 
We had jaffles by the full moon. 


Back in summer when it was warm enough to swim. My babies are becoming water babies and like other Aussie kids, learning the fundamentals of sun safety. Going out into the sun and surf entails as much donning of gear and sunscreen as preparing for a foray into a Yukon winter outdoor expedition. 


Well, I'm still swimming, though it's distinctly cooler now. I swim a kilometre in the ocean every Saturday morning with a group of amazing local ladies, the OvaArmers. The ages of the group range from 17 to 60, and they're welcoming, funny and so supportive. And I can barely keep up with them.
 I love it. 


The creative haul of a well-spoiled Mum. Mothers Day. 

Easter Hat Parade, an Australian public school tradition. I have no idea where it comes from, but I do recall participating in it when I was a kid. You (well, your parents, really) make Easter-themed hats. On the Friday before Easter, the school holds a celebration where parents are invited to watch the kids parade around in their creations. 

Birthday cake for a ten year old. I'm puzzled as to where the last decade of my life has slipped away to. Looking at this fine young lady in front of me makes me think something cool must have been happening. She is easy going and observant. Kind hearted and socially aware of all those around her and where she could maybe help. Her big heart longs to meet a forever friend here in Australia, but despite the absence, she plays with many and doesn't mind moseying off on her own. She has nearly mastered the local craze of handball; when she began Australian school last year she felt socially isolated as most of the kids spend every break playing handball. She's now good enough to hold her own in the 'big squares' and she can even beat her pro-Mama. She loves to dance. She's always singing, just like when she was little. Her table manners are those of a wild animal, but she's one of the most thoughtful and kind humans you will ever meet. I can't wait to see what the next ten years hold for her. 


How it works in the kitchen. This house is massive and yet we all seem to end up in this narrow corridor at the same time...


As part of my teaching position, I'm expected to go on school camp. This year I was with year 9 in the bush for a week. The kids were out of their comfort zone, it was cold (-2 at night), it rained for a full day, there was loads of complaining and I just loved it. 

Just trying to have a little lay down. It usually ends up like this.


Mountain Dad was away leading a river trip and so the Mountain Kids and I turned city. We popped down to the big smoke for the weekend and caught a big theatre production of Frozen, which was enthralling for the Little Laide, but a bit onerous for Master Lox. The next day I marched them to the Sydney Harbour Bridge for this picture. The smiles belie the complaining. 


'Aint he just?

My commute each day; walk, ferry, walk.
The Cathedral up on the hill in the background is just by my school. Newcastle Grammar School is over 150 years old and when we go to Chapel, we head into that Cathedral. It's beautiful. 

Comments

Paul Traynor said…
Hey there Newluks! Stumbled across your blog yesterday and it’s wonderful to see you all so fit and well and in Stockton no less. We’re in Berry (ish) for now after selling the shop just before Christmas and are shipping out. If you get this message and feel like reaching out my email is outside.p@gmail.com
Take care
Paul and Megan

Popular Posts